Friday, January 20, 2012

Breadfruit Oil Down

 Grenada's national dish is called Breadfruit Oil Down. It's basically a mushy stew with lots of vegetables and breadfruit soaked in coconut milk. At a local fruit stand, a Grenadian woman sold me all of the ingredients that you need for it and she explained the recipe to me. She also cut up all of the produce for me. In this picture, the white wedges are breadfruit. It's hard like a potato, so it has to be cooked. There's also a green onion and a chili pepper. The stuff that looks like spinach is called callaloo. The little bag has saffron spice. The only ingredient missing from this picture is the fresh coconut, which I used to make coconut milk.
 You first place the breadfruit like this in a pot.
 Then add the onion and peppers.
 Then add the callaloo, saffron, and any other spices that you want.
 Last, pour the coconut milk over everything and simmer it for a long time. At the end, I added ground beef. The locals generally add fish, but all I had was beef.
The dish actually turned out really good! It even looks like some of the pictures online. It's a very tasty dish, and I think I'll make it again sometime.

1 comment:

  1. wow, that looks yummy! I'm glad it turned out so well, maybe I should make it once before we leave!!

    ReplyDelete